Transportation of dangerous goods is seldom carried out by the company’s own forces importing or exporting cargo, usually this is a difficult matter entrusted to specialists. Therefore, virtually any transport company engaged in road freight transport, periodically faces the need Hazardous goods transport.
Companies are specializing in such transportation, and some carriers do not undertake to perform “dangerous orders.” And this is not surprising because we are talking about the most challenging area of road freight transportation, which require a special campaign by all participants of the transportation organization. It is also clear that the transport of dangerous goods implies compliance with certain rules, as well as additional security measures.
General classification of dangerous goods
The organization of transportation of dangerous goods depends mainly on the specifics of the cargo itself, because hazardous substances can be in different states, have different properties and require various conditions of transportation and Last mile delivery. Therefore, there is a general classification of dangerous goods, which significantly facilitates the organization of their transport. This classification applies not only to automotive but other types of cargo.
As soon as the class of cargo becomes known, it is possible to pass to the registration of the documentation. The first stage in the preparation of documents is the drafting of a contract of carriage, the terms of which must comply with the regulations for the Hazardous goods transport by road. In the upper right corner of the first page of the agreement, a “Dangerous goods” flag is marked in red. A contract must necessarily contain some special items, including:
- Physical and chemical characteristics that determine the dangerous properties of the goods being transported;
- Conditions for the equipment of transport and lifting equipment, as well as arrangements for the organization of special processing of cars and clothing for maintenance personnel;
- The procedure for providing personal protection equipment to drivers and maintenance personnel;
- The procedure for organizing cargo escort by forwarders and security, if necessary;
- Activities for the training (training or briefing) of drivers and other personnel;
- The procedure for creating an emergency brigade to eliminate the consequences of accidents in the event of their occurrence;
- The order of manufacturing the components of the information system, warning of the danger of the goods.
After drawing up the contract, a standard application from the consignor is drawn up, which is also accompanied by a red notation “Dangerous Goods” and a consignment note in four copies. In addition, the shipper provides an emergency card of the hazard information system (it is filled by the manufacturer’s data of the cargo being transported).
Also, all customs bans on import of dangerous goods into the territory of the country are registered in the customs control. These include:
- Weapons and knives more than 110 cm long
- Explosive substances (cartridges, gunpowder, explosives, pyrotechnics, TNT, etc.)
- Compressed and liquefied gases (butane-propane and others)
- Fire-hazardous liquids (acetone, gasoline, etc.)
- Solid fire-hazardous substances (sodium, potassium, phosphorus, etc.)
- Poisonous substances (mercury, strychnine, as well as brake fluid, antifreeze, etc.)
- Corrosive and corrosive substances (sulfuric, hydrochloric acid, etc.)
- Radioactive elements (uranium, etc., as well as X-ray equipment)
- Psychotropic substances
- Microorganisms and viruses