Currently, there are few kinds of transmission solutions are used for 40GbE. Most of the time people use 40GbE, 40G QSPF or 4 x 10GE breakout cables to attain the 40GbE. From all those, two most used solutions are 4 x 10 GE Breakout cable and 40G QSFP+ module for 40GbE. For core native and aggregation of 40 GbE, the ideal choice is the 40 G QSFP+ modules. There are so many variants of 40G QSFP+ modules and that is dictated by IEEE 802.3ba to hold various applications. qsfp+ sr (40GBASE-SR4) and qsfp+ LR (40GBASE-LR4) Optics are the generally used stipulation of 40G QSFP+ optics. These typical borders tried to gratify a numeral of diverse conclusions counting hold for single-mode and multi-mode fibre compatibility. Here, we are going to talk about the comparison or difference between the QSFP+ SR4 and LR4 Optics based on applications and structures.
Type of fibre and connector
- Transceivers 40GBASE-SR4 QSFP+ commonly permit high bandwidth 40G optical associates more 12-fibre equivalent fibre finished with MPO/MTP connectors of multi-fibre.
- Transceivers 40GBASE-LR4 QSFP+ chains associated lengths of more than ten kilometres more a regular pair of G.652 single-mode fibre with connectors of duplex LC.
- Transceivers 40GBASE-SR4 QSFP are used by the data centres in order to connect the two switches of Ethernet with lane ribbons (12 lane ribbons can be used) OM4 or OM3 cables.
- Transceivers 40GBASE-LR4 QSFP+ are commonly used in deploying between ixp sites or Data centre with a solo means of fibre.
Distance of Transmission
- Parallel optics (40GBASE-SR4 QSFP+)
– 150 m on OM4 –10G on 4 fibres/ direction
– 100 m on OM3–10G on 4 fibres/ direction
- CWDM (40GBASE-LR4 QSFP+)
– 10 km on single-mode– 4λ x 10G 1300 nm region
- 40GBASE-SR4 QSFP+: 4 x 850 nm
- 40GBASE-LR4 QSFP+ (de Multiplexing and multiplexing of the 4 wavelengths are directed within the mechanism): 1271 nm, 1291 nm, 1311 nm, 1331 nm
It is clarified with the above explanations that the 40G QSFP SR4 is for the short term distance along with the OM3/OM4 40G whereas QSFP LR4 is designed for a long term transmission that is used for a single-mode fibre whereas and here the digit 4 dictates the four lanes. Furthermore, they come with different connectors and different wavelengths. They used different technology and different network also.